This obelisk, under 5.5 m, is attributed to the nearby Iseum of the Domitanic era, discovered in 1655 excavations. It was re-erected atop Bernini’s elephant sculpture and inaugurated in 1667 for Pope Alexander VII in Piazza della Minerva.
Cite This Page
Cite this page as: Darius Arya, The American Institute for Roman Culture, “Bernini (Elephant) Obelisk” Ancient Rome Live. Last modified 10/24/2019. https://ancientromelive.org/bernini-elephant-obelisk/
Created by The American Institute of Roman Culture, published on 10/24/2019 under the following license: Creative Commons: Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike. This license lets others remix, tweak, and build upon this content non-commercially, as long as they credit the author and license their new creations under the identical terms. Please note that content linked from this page may have different licensing terms.