This structure of the early 11-12C is a well preserved medieval house preserved and revealed during the demolishing of the neighborhood of the Forum Boarium for the modern Fascist era road, Via Luigi Petroselli. The main inscription identifies the owner of the house as Nicolaus Crescens, one of the city’s most powerful medieval families. There are a number of ancient marble architectural features reused as decoration in the facade. The house was abandoned the 15C and became city property in 1868.
Cite This Page
Cite this page as: Darius Arya, The American Institute for Roman Culture, “House of the Crescenzio Family” Ancient Rome Live. Last modified 10/24/2019. https://ancientromelive.org/house-of-the-crescenzio-family/
Created by The American Institute of Roman Culture, published on 10/24/2019 under the following license: Creative Commons: Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike. This license lets others remix, tweak, and build upon this content non-commercially, as long as they credit the author and license their new creations under the identical terms. Please note that content linked from this page may have different licensing terms.