The Dioscouri are two colossal statues on the Quirinal hill reused by Sixtus V in 1588 for a fountain display in front of the papal palace that has become the residence of the president of the Republic of Italy. Traditionally they are interpreted as belonging to the nearby Baths of Constantine, but another interpretation is that they were part of the pedimental statuary for the colossal (60 foot column shafts) Temple of Serapis, attributed to Hadrian (or possibly Septimius Severus).
Cite This Page
Cite this page as: Darius Arya, The American Institute for Roman Culture, “Dioscouri Fountain & Statues of the Quirinale” Ancient Rome Live. Last modified 07/03/2020. https://ancientromelive.org/dioscouri-fountain-statues-of-the-quirinale/
Created by The American Institute of Roman Culture, published on 07/03/2020 under the following license: Creative Commons: Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike. This license lets others remix, tweak, and build upon this content non-commercially, as long as they credit the author and license their new creations under the identical terms. Please note that content linked from this page may have different licensing terms.