The Odeon of Domitian was constructed after the fire of AD 80 that devastated the Campus Martius (Suetonius, Dom. 5). It is just south of the stadium of Domitian. The covered hall for music recitals held up to 7,000 people. It is located just south of Piazza Navona, toward Palazzo Massimo, whose curved facade follows along part of the curved exterior of the structure.
A building for musical performances, erected by Domitian in the campus Martius, probably near the Stadium (Suet. Dom. 5; Eutrop. vii. 23; Chron. 146; Hier. a. Abr. 2105). It was restored by Apollodorus in the reign of Trajan (Cass. Dio lxix. 4) and contained 10600 loca, that is, places for about 5000 spectators (cf. BC 1894, 310-324). In the fourth century it was regarded as among the most conspicuous monuments in Rome (Amm. Marcell. xvi. 10. 14); in the fifth as one of the seven mira praecipua (Pol. Silv. 545). It is possible that the artificial elevation, called monte Giordano, covers its ruins (HJ 594).
Cite This Page
Cite this page as: Darius Arya, The American Institute for Roman Culture, “Odeum of Domitian (Odeon of Domitian)” Ancient Rome Live. Last modified 06/30/2020. https://ancientromelive.org/odeum-of-domitian-odeon-of-domitian/
Created by The American Institute of Roman Culture, published on 10/24/2019 under the following license: Creative Commons: Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike. This license lets others remix, tweak, and build upon this content non-commercially, as long as they credit the author and license their new creations under the identical terms. Please note that content linked from this page may have different licensing terms.