The Portico of Octavia is a temple complex in the Circus Flaminius area constructed by Octavia, Augustus’ sister. It was comprised of a square piazza 100 X 100 m surrounded by porticoes, with a central gate facing the circus piazza. Inside there were 2 temples: Jupiter and Juno. The impressive remains of the propylon gate that are visible in the Jewish Ghetto today belong to a Severan-area rebuilding, after a fire, as documented in the propylon inscription (CIL 6.1034). The entire premie for Octavia’s construction was to replace the first structure on the site, the Portico of Metellus, which included the first marble temples in Rome, dedicated to Jupiter and Juno after his victory in Macedonia. Another noteworthy monument was the bronze equestrian statue group of Alexander the Great and his Companions, brought by Metellus as a war trophy (Velleius, History, 1.II.3-5). They were noted as having survived and being on display in Octavia’s and Septimus Severus’ monuments.
Cite This Page
Cite this page as: Darius Arya, The American Institute for Roman Culture, “Porticus Octaviae (Portico of Octavia)” Ancient Rome Live. Last modified 11/16/2019. https://ancientromelive.org/porticus-octaviae-portico-of-octavia/
Created by The American Institute of Roman Culture, published on 10/24/2019 under the following license: Creative Commons: Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike. This license lets others remix, tweak, and build upon this content non-commercially, as long as they credit the author and license their new creations under the identical terms. Please note that content linked from this page may have different licensing terms.