This marker of travertine was discovered at the base of the Capitoline Hill, along the Vicus Iugarius in Piazza Montanara, in 1520. It was then lost and found again in the 1930s. The inscription records the purchase of private land with public funds by Lucius Calpurinius Piso and Marcus Sallvius, praetors of the treasury. The secondary inscription was made in 1556 by Paul IV.
It’s one of the many small treasures from ancient Rome you can find while walking through the Eternal City with little fanfare, so look out for it on the Vico Iugario!
Cite This Page
Cite this page as: Darius Arya, The American Institute for Roman Culture, “Piso Cippus” Ancient Rome Live. Last modified 11/16/2019. https://ancientromelive.org/piso-cippus/
Created by The American Institute of Roman Culture, published on 10/24/2019 under the following license: Creative Commons: Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike. This license lets others remix, tweak, and build upon this content non-commercially, as long as they credit the author and license their new creations under the identical terms. Please note that content linked from this page may have different licensing terms.